Wednesday, March 05, 2008

You rang? Part VI

Machine: You have one message, one new message. Message one, Wednesday, 10:16 AM.

Male voice, recorded (nasal, sounds almost congested -- perhaps the natural result of a deviated septum? Poor diction; the words run together, except for those stressed): This is Richard Helms with Trans Congated Corp. at (888) 471-9828. I’m calling regarding your credit card balances in the middle of payments that are going out. It’s imperative that you call me back. You now qualify for the debt reduction allowance program. Again, my name is Richard Helm [no ‘s’ the second time – ed], and my phone number is (888) 471-9828. And it is imperative that you give me a call. *beep*

Machine: End of messages.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger jessie said...

These are kind of beautiful. The series reminds me just a little bit of this (NOT that you strike me as the pathetic John Arbuckle type):
http://garfieldminusgarfield.tumblr.com/

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Sheridan Dupre said...

I like those Garfield minus Garfield bits, not least of all because I never knew Jon had a surname. What an odd and interesting detail!

I hope that these jottings have a historical value. In early 2008, it seems to me that car warranties, credit card balances, and home loans are at the top of the list of people's concerns.

And you know what, these recorded, disembodied voices are right on the money!

One more, for a nice seven, and the series will end. But there will be other, no less pressing, reasons to tune in to G the G!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home