Saturday, May 02, 2009



The redoubtable Siskel and Ebert on criticism:



Try to ignore the chap who bears a blurry resemblence to Mark Linn-Baker at the one minute mark and watch this. They've narrowed criticism down to saying what you honestly feel in direct language. I've always liked Siskel and Ebert's emphasis on the subjective experience of movies, and simultaneously their style, one both serious - movies are worth arguing about - and without pretension. The bits about the latent desire to be liked and the fear of the revelation of fraud are, I think, acute observations into the psychology of criticism. Finally, you can't let this go without comment: "Political correctness is the fascism of the 90s." -- Roger Ebert. I wish that had been my quote in my high school yearbook instead of a selection from the Tao Te Ching.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Colonel Knowledge said...

Mark Linn-Baker? More like Albert Brooks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home