Monday, August 24, 2009



In the range of human emotions, one must make room for the experience of conflicting but simultaneous feelings of sadness and happiness. I understand that parents experience this when their children go off to camp, or college; or that some men and women have been known to experience it during such adventures as moving from a well loved position with happy colleagues into the unchartered territory of a new job.

As for me, I too experience this peculiar tonic of wistful melancholy. Yes, every time I fold my laundry in the laundromat. The times we've had before this wash cycle began, oh running shorts of mine! What will the weeks hold for you, my sweet Tanglewood tee?! And lo, my underthings -- so soft with the drier's warm glow!

It's enough to nearly reduce me to tears, this potent blend of past, present, and unknown, all smelling so downy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home