Wednesday, August 19, 2009



Today I did certain things. To wit: I., I ran 4 miles in the blistering heat. B., I cycled downtown in order to get penny rolls from the bank and to visit the library where I took out the following CDs - Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark" (featuring a song with Cheech and Chong. Yes, Cheech and Chong.), Crosby, Stills & Nash "Crosby, Stills & Nash" (no serial comma? I always use a serial comma.), Lloyd Cole and the Commotions "1984-1989" (cover art by Richard Misrach), John Cale "Paris 1919" (he has a song titled "Graham Greene"), Al Hirt "Music to Watch Girls By" (I got it for the title, but a quick wiki search of Hirt makes me think I'll like him very much - his nicknames were "Jumbo" and "Sugar Lips", he was from New Orleans, he played Ave Maria for the Pope, he had eight children most of whom appeared to be born out of wedlock, as it were...wiki's a bit foggy on the details.). Look for selections from these albums to appear on ArtDecade soon.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, telling you what I did. I applied for a job. I spoke to my cousin on the phone. I ate Mac and Cheese for dinner and listened to the Grateful Dead cover "It's a Man's World."

But what's arguably most important is that I spent a good deal of the day rolling pennies. Dear readers, brace yourselves - today I rolled $43 worth of pennies. As a friend of mine said in an email "Jeeze, that's a lot of pennies." Too true! My fingers were dark with soot and penny dust by the end. But I'm happy I've saved these pennies over the years. People used to make fun of me, but tomorrow, who will be going to the bank with 86 penny rolls and walking out of the door with $43 in cold American, and then going to the bar where it will be drunk away? The answer is me. Who wins now, assholes? Yeah, you're not so high and mighty now, are you?!

Ha ha ha!

I also went through a mysterious jar of change and this is what I discovered:

12.96 worth of Great British "Imperial" Pounds
7.41 of "worthless" Canadian Dollars
4.64 of "Metrosexual" Euros
64 French "Freedom" Francs
79 "devalued" Icelandic Krona
9.55 Swiss Francs, "which won't get you squat in Switzerland, the world's most expensive conglomerate of Cantons"
some coin from Panama with Balboa on the front
a Phillipino 25 cent piece
and 10 Mexican cents

This could be a song, I think, a la The Twelve Days of Christmas, ending with "and ten Mexican cents" instead of a partridge in a pear tree.

Regardless, what a day! I'm bushed!

Hmmm, what's on TV tonight?! Something exciting I hope, maybe a show in which fat people are weighed? Who knows! The future is my oyster, and the television remote is what I shall use to shuck it.

Good night all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home