Sunday, February 20, 2011

thoughts on current global politics

Like a lot of people, I have been reading about the political and social unrest across North Africa and Arabia. Also, I've seen a lot of photos both in the newspapers and on the internet. Two things occur to me in reading about these heady days. First of all, who knew North Africa was such a scarf culture? When I was in Poland, I noticed a certain mustache culture, both in the flesh on the streets and hewed into stone in monuments. But I wasn't surprised. We're all familiar with the stock character of the Polish plumber with his walrus mustache. But I didn't know every young man in North Africa wore jeans, dark jackets, and scarves thrown nonchalantly around their necks. There have been a number of good examples in the press, and I can't find my favorite, but this should give you an idea:





And this brings me to my second point. I realize people are worried about what happens next. What role will Islamic groups like the Muslim Brotherhood play? Will these countries transition into democracy, or will they descend into chaos, paving the way for more dangerous autocratic regimes? But what people aren't talking about, and don't seem to be concerned about, is what if these countries are simply hijacked by these scarf wearing doofuses?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home