Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Hooray!



It looks like it's going to rain! Take that, humidity! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, summer heat! Chew on that, thick, uncirculating air!

I think a good comic book would be about a super hero (Rain) who vanquishes a summer day with cool gusts of wind (who knows, some of them might even be gales? If the summer day is particularly oppressive, why not?), thunder and lightning, and sheets of rain. The comic would chronicle an entire summer, memorial day to labor day, day by day. Children would both love the rain for its cooling properties, but also fear its majesty.

The character Rain would be modeled after me.

I think it would be quite popular.

A side note on comics - when I was not so young, say in college, a large stack of Christian-themed Archie comics materialized in our house. Where did they come from? I don't know. Were they from the Shorts? Anyway, my Mom sent some to me when I was in Ireland. Why? As a joke? Probably. My Irish roommate and sometime reader of this blog took them because she loved Archie comics. I think she was about half way through the third and final one when she copped on to the message. She was genuinely confused. She didn't recall Archie being so Christian, but then she couldn't be sure.

Oh, wait. Here's a long and interesting history of Christian Archie comics.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my water's boiling and I'm going to have a cup of tea, continue reading The Culture of Narcissism, and wait for the rain to come and make everything nice.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Greg Condon said...

i got those christian archie comics in a supermarket in Albany. i too did not realize their message till i brought them back to gramps and grans. and - yes - that was the same week they force fed me prune juice.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Jazione said...

Best line ever... "My seven year old mentality always leaned away from superhero fodder and more in the direction of, if you will, gay-er items."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home