Thursday, September 24, 2009

Here is a stuffed animal I had as a kid:





I don't know, he's alright. I do like St. Bernards.





Actually he's not that important to me.


But what I'm interested in is this, as we zoom in to the wooden cask around his neck:





Why did I change his name from Star to Bravo? Change of heart? Were there a lot of other stuffed animals that year named Star? And, couldn't I have come up with more interesting names? Come to think of it, why did I write his name at all? If anything, shouldn't I have written my name?


Well, it's a good thing we can all have a good laugh now about how stupid I was as a kid.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Sheridan Dupre said...

I'd like to add a footnote to this piece - do parents ever wish to change the names of their kids? Perhaps a week or so after naming a child at birth, is there a phenomenon in which a parent is overcome with anxiety about their chosen name, as they get used to it, as they attach their invention to a real person and turn that name over to them in a way, and do people want to change the name while they know they still could?

So when I have a son, and I name him Star, I'm not going to be able to change his name to Bravo even if I realize that's a better name 12 days into his young life?

Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home