Saturday, October 31, 2009



Pascal's Wager: If there is a God and you believe and behave accordingly, you are rewarded with eternal life. If there is a God and you willfully disbelieve, you are punished with eternal damnation. If there is no God, and you behave as though there is is, you gain nothing. If there is no God and you behave as though there isn't, you also stand to gain nothing. Disbelief then presents a graver risk possessing the possibility of eternal loss, whereas belief gives you the prospect of eternal gain, and nothing to lose.

Dupre's wager: If there is only one Luigi's Italian Ice in the freezer, and I eat it under the nose of my father who is in the other room and who would also like to eat it, my father will be pissed. If there is only one Luigi's Italian Ice in the freezer and I don't eat it, I will be pissed. If there is no Luigi's Italian Ice in the freezer, there is no dilemma. So, after I eat it and discard the evidence, and my father says, wasn't there a Luigi's left? and I say, no, and boy would I have wanted one, you know - Mom should buy some more, and my father agrees and starts yelling loudly that we need more Luigi's, then everyone wins, with the exception of my father, who doesn't know he's lost, and my mother, who is now sorely annoyed, but in not eating Luigi's doesn't know how many were in there to begin with.

The score? Dupre 1, Pascal 0.

4 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Luigi's!! that scraping!! so horrible and spine tingling!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Luigi's!! that scraping!! so horrible and spine tingling!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Luigi's!! that scraping!! so horrible and spine tingling!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Sheridan Dupre said...

I'm confused - is your recollection of Luigi's horrible AND spine tingling?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home